Power and Function
The principal objective of the State Vigilance Bureau Haryana is to curb the evil of corruption amongst Public Servants and to prevent leakage of Government revenue by taking action against unscrupulous Government Servants who indulge in mal-practices and corruption. The State Vigilance Bureau also helps various other Government Departments by suggesting ways and means to combat corruption and to prevent leakage of Government Revenue.
The various functions of the State Vigilance Bureau are:-
- Investigation of Criminal Cases of corruption/cheating/ fraud referred to it by the Govt. of Haryana for investigation.
- Apprehending corrupt Govt. Servants red-handed by means of raids.
- Carrying out vigilance enquiries referred to it by the Vigilance Department, Govt. of Haryana.
- Generating inspection/source reports regarding corruption/ leakage of Govt. revenue for the usage of the Govt. or for suo-moto action.
- Giving No Objection Certificates from vigilance angle to various persons/Govt. officials. NOC is required for the following purpose :-
- Promotion Cases
- Cases of Superannuation
- Passport for Govt. Employees
- Cases of Deputation
- Any other cases in which, such clearance is made mandatory by the State Government.
- To carry out special checking of various works/projects undertaken on behalf of the Govt. of Haryana to ensure uniform quality and standard of the works being so undertaken.
- Any other function assigned to it from the Govt. of Haryana from time to time.
Duties of a Vigilance Officer
Every vigilance officer posted in the Vigilance Bureau has responsibilities in the following spheres:-
- As an Enquiry Officer in respect of registered enquiries entrusted to him/ her.
- As an Investigating Officer in respect of criminal cases registered in various Police Station of the SVB and entrusted to him for investigation.
- In addition to these responsibilities the SP/DIG posted at the Police Station of the SVB shall also function
as the officer in-charge of the Police Station and shall perform such duties as officer in-charge of Police Station as outlined in the Punjab police Rules.