State Vigilance Bureau is the main investigative unit of State Government regarding corruption cases. It was established in June, 1967 as a Special Inquiry Agency (SIA) for curbing the evil of corruption. The SIA was later rechristened as the State Vigilance Bureau in year 1978 and presently functions as such under the charge of Director General/Director, who is an IPS Officer in the rank of Director General of Police or Addl. Director General of Police.
The principle objective of the SVB, Haryana is to curb the evil of corruption amongst Govt. Departments/Organizations and carry out the mandate of the State Government to provide a corruption free, transparent and fair administration.
FUNCTIONS AND DUTIES OF THE STATE VIGILANCE BUREAU
The various functions of the SVB for curbing the evil of the corruption are:-
- To organize trap/raids for red handed arrest of corrupt public servants.
- To conduct inquires against allegations of corruptions.
- Investigating of criminal cases of corruption/cheating/fraud etc. referred to it by the State Govt.
- To collect information about leakage of Govt. Revenue.
ORGANIZATION OF STATE VIGILANCE BUREAU
The Headquarter of State Vigilance Bureau, Haryana is situated at Plot No. -1, Sector 23, Panchkula, Haryana. The Director General SVB Haryana is head of the department who is and IPS Officer in rank of Director General of Police. The Director General is assisted by 2 Inspector General of Police, 1 Deputy Inspector General, 7 Superintendent of Police, 17 Deputy Superintendent of Police and 59 Inspectors posted in all over state. There are 7 SVB Police Stations i.e. Panchkula, Ambala, Hisar, Rohtak, Gurugram, Karnal, Faridabad where cases are registered. Beside this, a Vigilance Unit has been set up at each District Hqrs. Which is headed by Inspector of Police. Technical Staff like XEN’s, SDO’s DETC, DA, DDA and Dy. Collector are also posted in the bureau who provide professional assistance to the vigilance officers in investigations and enquiries.
Rights of Citizens
- Every citizen is a partner in anticorruption effort and their cooperation in reporting instances of demand of bribe and other corruption practices is vital to stamp out the evil of cooperation. The State Vigilance Bureau actively seeks and encourages cooperation of public spirited citizens to report instances of corruption.
- Whenever a citizen reports an instance of demand of bribe, immediate action is taken by organizing raid on the corrupt official/officer. Registration of case, arrest and trial of such officials follow.
- To facilitate the citizen in reporting instance of demand of bribe or other corrupt practices, a toll free number-18001802022, 1064 and Whats App number 9417891064 have been established.
- Every citizen has a right to access the Vigilance officers, right up to Director General, State Vigilance Bureau. Telephone Numbers of office, mobile no. and Email IDs of the officer and Vigilance units are available on the website www.haryanavigilance.gov.in and have also been display at prominent places in districts.
- Every citizen has a right to demand and obtain information related to SVB under Right To information Act.
- Every citizen has a right to know the action taken by State Vigilance Bureau on his complaint/information. The State Vigilance Bureau will strive to dispose of such complaint with in 30 days of receipt.